Friday, February 1, 2008

Fenton's Creamery.


Home of the Oakland A's and a high crime rate, Oakland is full of life and excitement. I live 45 minutes away from Oakland, California. And if you are a true local, you will know that Fenton's Creamery is the best place in town. I grew up on Fenton's, coming there after my Grandpa took me and my cousins to the A's games on those long summer days. And later when I was in the Oakland Temple Pagaent choir as a teenager, my friends and I would roam the streets in our cars looking for Fenton's, trying to remember the exact way to get there, just so we could get a little taste of those childhood memories. Then when I came to BYU it became tradition to go straight to Fenton's after we got out of the airport (either that or In'N'Out, of course). Similar to "Leatherby's" near Helaman Halls, this cool little restaurant has an old fashioned diner feel, and you can select from a wide variety of foods from their menu including spicy hot wings dripping with delicious hot sauce, all different kinds of sandwiches and burgers, golden crisp french fries, and even deviled eggs. But the best thing there is the ice cream, of course. Personaly, I prefer the creation called the "Black and Tan", which is their most well known ice cream sundae. A scoop of Toasted Almond ice cream topped with a layer of homemade hot fudge, followed by a scoop of Vanilla ice cream smothered with delicious homemade caramel, complete with fluffy whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry on top. Mmm, my mouth is watering now just thinking of that glorious homemade caramel, which is one of the things Fenton's is famous for. The caramel is thick and grainy, which may not sound to appetizing, but believe me, it is amazing. If you ever fly in to the Oakland Airport, you will have to check out the express version of Fenton's. The only downside to Fenton's is that it is hard to find in those windy Oakland hills, so you would probably need a local to help you get around.
http://www.fentonscreamery.com/

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Wow you seem to know a lot of places to eat! I'd like to go to Fenton's sometime. I'm a big fan of ice cream and the black and tan sounds absolutely delicious! By the way I love your pictures, they're awesome; keep up the good work. Good luck with photography!

Anonymous said...

First of all let me say that your blog is amazing and probably the best in the class! I love local places in my home town that bring back so many memories.

Kaiti said...

Sounds amazing! my fam is planning on taking a trip to california this summer, so maybe we'll take the scenic route and stop on in to get some icecream!